So, given this chemical bath, it is fair to say that the vagina is not just a sex organ at all, but a powerful mediator of female confidence, creativity and the sense of the connections between things.
So commented Naomi Woolf as she discussed her recent book “Vagina” in an article in The Guardian. Her book explores the latest scientific discoveries about the brain-vagina connection in women. Among other things she shows:
- Female orgasm is much more than just pleasure. It produces specific, positive states of mind.
- Based on the powerful brain-vagina connection, there is no such thing as non-violent rape.
- The clitoris and g-spot are likely part of the same neural structure.
- Understanding women’s anatomy and pleasure should lead to more satisfactory sexual experiences for women.
- Stimulating different parts of a woman’s vagina will activate different brain functions and trigger different emotions.
- Women have many more “neural termini” in their pelvises than men. Therefore their sexual response is different than men.
- Beyond the realm of culture and value judgments, experiments show the importance of unfettered female desire in evolutionary process.
- The vagina powerfully affects female consciousness, confidence, risk-taking and autonomy.
Her book is a needed call to action for women to “rebel” against patriarchy. She concludes that these discoveries make it clear why “female sexuality, and the vagina in particular, have been controlled, abused, targeted, derided and shamed” for centuries.
Rather than focus on the wrongs of the past, as difficult as they may be, I would prefer to look at how they can spur us onward, as men, to honor the amazing capacity of women in a new societal vision. Men, after all, are probably just as ignorant about the benefits of a society where women are fully activated, honored, loved and ‘enlarged’. We need to explore a new model, where the shackles of the past (reflected in the embedded shame and guilt of our modern cultures) are broken, where female desire is fully embraced, where the loving sexual energy men share with their women is seen as a form of divine worship, where we all embrace the power of the vagina to give rise to a more connected and loving world.